Cleveland Roots Community Garden
In the spring of 2017 Cleveland Roots is debuting a community garden at its Headquarters at West 41st and Robert Avenue. This was made possible through two generous grants, one from Cleveland Climate Action Fund and another from Neighborhood Connections. The vision is an inclusive environment where families may grow their own food, bonding with neighbors and sharing cultural traditions.
Guidelines of the CR Community Garden:
- Participation will be from mid-April through mid-November
- At least 2 people must participate per (4’ x 8’) garden bed.
- No herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are allowed.
- The gardens are for growing food.
- Cleveland Roots will provide seeds and plant starts.
- It is expected that participants will maintain their garden weekly.
- The garden will be accessible only during regular hours.
- Participation if free, and sharing the harvest with neighbors, family, and friends is encouraged!
Although we are underway for this season, please contact us if you have an interest in volunteering this year or in participating as a gardener next year!
Cleveland Roots Community Programs
Cleveland Roots will be offering community programs at our Headquarters in the coming seasons. Contact us if you would like more information and class schedule updates. We hope you can join us!
Some upcoming topics at CR:
Soil Life Series on Composting
May 13, 2017
This season, we are offering a series of free composting workshops. The first in the series, Basic Composting, will be held in conjunction with International Compost Awareness Week, on May 13th with a repeat session on May 18th. Learn basic skills to start your own home composting system. Registration is required.
See dates for all Composting workshops below.
- Soil Life Series: Basic Composting – Saturday, May 13th, 1:00-3:00pm – or – Thursday, May 18th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Soil Life Series: Intermediate Composting – Saturday, June 10th, 1:00-3:00pm (THIS SESSION HAS BEEN CANCELLED) – or – Thursday, June 15th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Soil Life Series: Advanced Composting – Saturday, July 8th, 1:00-3:00pm – or – Thursday, July 13th, 6:00-8:00pm
All workshops will be run by composting expert, Nathan Rutz, and members of Cleveland’s own Rustbelt Riders. While we recommend taking these classes in order from Beginning through Advanced, it is not necessary for participation. We hope you can join us!